A visual canvas concept for collaborating, building, and sending marketing campaigns.
My Role: Email Lead UX Designer
Others on project: Campaign Canvas Lead Designer, Product Owners for Email and Campaign Canvas, Researchers across both products, and Technical Leads across both projects
Targeted Personas: Karen and Trisha (marketing manager and director)
Never released to GA.
1. Will they buy/use it? (valuable)
2. Can they use it? (usable)
3. Can we build it? (feasible - build)
4. Will stakeholders support it? (feasible – buy)
The idea is stated as a problem and a hypothesis instead of a solution
The business outcomes are stated at the beginning and are the entire FOCUS of Discovery
We test our ideas to identify the solution that is valuable, usable and feasible
What are we testing?
There was already some previous work to borrow from for the canvas and then we applied Lightning Design System to our current messaging workflows to move into this high fidelity mock up pretty quickly.
We conducted moderated research sessions with users. Responses were generally positive but due to a variety of factors outside of our control this project got shelved.
- Users really appreciated having a central place to plan marketing campaigns and would often compare it more traditional mood boards used in physical marketing
- There was change aversion around introducing a new tool when people were used to how they created and sent messages today. They liked having a central place to do this, but not everyone was convinced that a canvas experience was necessary to enable the visibility and collaboration users desired.
- People liked seeing a unified approach to the messaging workflows across channels.
- It was unclear if the canvas and card approach was as intuitive as a more traditional user interface with menus, buttons, etc.