Salesforce Email Creation Flow

Redesigned from the ground up Marketing Cloud's email creation workflow used by 10,000+ users every day.

Details

My Role: Lead UX Designer

Others on project: Director of Product, UX Researcher, Engineering Lead, Business Analyst

Target Personas Marketing manager and content producer

Results

Time on Task: Reduced by 41%

Context Changes: Reduced by 30%

Screen Count: Reduced from 17 to 8

Clarity and efficiency were our primary design principals we focused on throughout this project.

Discovery and Definition

The product and UX teams were excited to tackle this issue. A lot of our requirements were drawn from customer surveys, qualitative research findings, and SME knowledge from our product owners. So we had a great foundation to start from to start hypothesizing and ideating on concepts and solutions that we could then take to our users for validation.

Primary Challenges

1. Too many ways to create a message causing confusion and frustration

2. Lack of parity between these various workflows

3. Dated user interface that was inefficient

4. Various features existed elsewhere in our system and weren't readily available at time of creation

5. Current WYSIWIG editor is subpar and doesn't have space or features to use

Early Whiteboard Collab

We knew that there were a few core sections/tasks that needed to be accomplished in the creation of every message. Once we figured out these core sections we started ideating around an interface and experience that brought these together in a cohesive and usable manner.

Design Process

Early Concepts

Research Methodology and Takeaways

Moderated research was ran at this point by my UX researcher partner.

- Having creation and sending all in one flow is not scalable and has far too much cognitive load for users.
- Users liked having more visibility into where they stood in the process.
- Users liked having a list of tasks to complete before sending.
- There were mixed reactions to the new layout of the workflow.

Design Buy-In Spike

There were concerns from leadership that the workflow was still too many screens and the changes we were proposing based off of research weren't "radical" enough to compete. So I created several user journey maps to illustrate to leadership a comparison between current state and proposed state on the difference in number of screens, context changes, and clicks. This helped us move forward in a united fashion once leadership better understood the meaningful impact we were creating for users and that a certain amount of complexity was necessary and desired for our most common personas and use cases.

Wireframes - First Draft

Research Methodology and Takeaways

Moderated research was ran after every release at this point.

- Users sometimes felt lost when beginning the workflow and needed better affordances and UA language
- Users loved having all of their validation and testing tools built right into the flow.
- Continue refining the top nav and gain space where we can for a large and easy to use work area.

Wireframes - Final Version

Research Methodology and Takeaways

Moderated research was ran after every release at this point.

- Users really liked having autosave built into the workflow with good visual cues for when a save event was happening
- Subject and Preheader could still be easily overlooked so we needed to continue to refine their position and visual prominence while not disrupting the rest of the IA on the page
- Canvas space for editing the message continued to be a high priority so we gave the users an option to expand the canvas to overlay other UI elements when desired

Visual Designs